We are lucky to be living on a planet that provides natural resources for sustenance as well as beauty. Like most people we tend to take these things for granted.
Although many countries are arguing about how to protect the environment, each of us as individuals can do our part, which hopefully will decrease the need for more government’s involvement.
Each of us can act as a committee of one to “Think Green.” Here are some ways to do your part to “Think Green” so that we can enjoy the beauty of our land for many generations to come.
- Recycling – We tend to have spurts when we recycle. When the local youth clubs are collecting for fund raisers we get our newspapers, cans, and bottles together to help out. But what do we do when there are not fund raisers or challenges? This should be a routine part of our lives to recycle. And if you are recycling, make sure that you are recycling correctly.
- Watching Waste – When there is a drought, we all pitch in to save water. But as soon as the drought is over, we go back to our old ways. It is just easier to forget that part of the drought is the fact that we don’t watch waste all the time. Make some simple lifestyle changes that will reduce the waste consistently in your daily life.
- Choose Sustainable – There are so many options for products in our everyday lifestyle that we can take advantage of: e.g., cleaning supplies, selecting restaurants with ecofriendly receptacles for takeout, purchasing cookware for your home for cooking. All of these contribute to saving our planet.
- Bring Your Own Reusable Shopping Bags – If you have donated to any charities, you should have been given very attractive shopping bags. There is no excuse for not having several shopping bags that you keep in your car at all times. Some stores even give you a discount or other perks for using them. Remember, even if you do receive bags at the stores, most are strong enough to be re-used multiple times and can be recycled in-store when you are done with them.
- Plant a Garden – No matter where you live you can plant some vegetables. Indoor garden options could include tomato plants, pepper plants, and herbs. If you have a patio or a yard, your garden options are more extensive and could even include some pollinator plants. The goal is to appreciate our available resources.
- Bike or Walk More – Do you really need to jump in the car for 2 or 3 blocks? Get out of your car and walk. The exercise you get now will do you good and save that fuel for long trips.
- Vacation Locally – We find that a common comment we have been hearing lately is “I didn’t even know this was here.” There are a lot of interesting places to visit and enjoy in your own back yard. No planes to catch or miss. Sharing the beauty of your environment can be a joy. Also, again savings on fuel.
- Support Local Transit – A little more thought has to be put into travel if you are not totally in control. However, there are major benefits to using local transit, especially, if you are going directly to a specific destination…no parking to worry about and you can really enjoy the scenery on the trip.
- Buy Local – Supporting your local businesses is the best way to sustain your community. Local businesses are often independently owned. These are individuals or families that are committed to maintaining a viable environment.
- Take Shorter Showers – You know where everything is so it should not require a lengthy time in the shower. It is great to be able to enjoy the pleasure of that hot water running all over you, but for now while we think green soap up and shower off quicker.
Thinking green only takes a little thought but the benefits of a beautiful world tomorrow are truly worth it for today and tomorrow.